Is Self-Service a Go or No Go According to PepsiCo?
PepsiCo Foodservice, looking to keep a pulse on consumer attitudes to these various solutions, conducted a consumer survey last year to gain a better understanding of what consumers are looking for when it comes to unattended retail. The company surveyed 1,000 consumers through an online questionnaire.
Through the study, they confirmed their theory: consumers prefer unattended retail more than ever because they want to shop at their own pace. with our study finding that spending rose 20% to 40% more during unattended transactions.
Other interesting findings:
1. a general takeaway for the industry at large was just how open consumers of all demographics are to unattended retail.
2. Consumers who gravitate towards unattended retail seek convenience, less friction and full control of the experience. Unattended consumers are loyal to unattended, giving them the power to shop at their own pace without the presence of another person.
3. Whether standalone vending platforms or full-blown unattended stores, the technologies that are most promising are those that deliver on consumer demands without putting excess stress on operators. Maintenance is an important piece of this. From an operator standpoint, many are facing increasing labor cost pressures and look to unattended innovations to help simplify operations and look to their suppliers for the best technology and capabilities to alleviate that stress. The solutions must be intuitive and easily serviceable so that operators are not missing out on dollars.
From inField Solutions’ perspective,
1. Unattended retail can be taken further than just beverages with our self-service Micro Markets solution called Shoppe iQ. This solution allows for uses to use any combination of a kiosk function on a standard smartphone or tablet, and a complete Mobile POS App. The Shoppe iQ platform allows for the user to have complete flexibility when and how they shop, whether online, online with a designated pickup location, curbside pickup, or self serve in person shopping.
2. The Food iQ platform allows for Tap ‘n Go or eWallet transactions, a loyalty program (Cash iQ), manage promotions, and a built in communication feature to send messages / promotions to an individual or groups of users.
For the complete article:
Research confirming the consumer's preference for self-service convinced PepsiCo Foodservice to develop a solution enabled by AI and computer vision tech for automatic product recognition.